[Live-demo] Funding of LiveDVD for conferences.

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 00:21:34 PST 2013

Peter,
Lets do some back-of-the-envelope maths.
According to our OSGeoLive history page, there were 45 events in 2012
which made use of OSGeo-Live. Of these, I'm reasonably confident that
each event would easily be able to hand out an average 100 USBs per
event, (probably 2 or 3 times this), and each event would like these
USBs paid for. Cost of a cheap USB =~ $4.

I'm pretty sure if USBs were subsidised, we would get requests for 10
times as many USBs.

So current annual cost of printing OSGeo-Live USBs = 100 * 45 * $4  =
$18,000 (minimal)

or 100 * 45 * $4 * 10 = $180,000 (if handed out to everyone who asks)

Alternatively, you might want to pay for OSGeoLive USBs for specific events.

Peter, I hope this helps in your considerations about what level of
sponsorship you might be in a position to provide.