[Live-demo] UEFI booting an USB sticks - 64 bit wrench

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Jan 31 01:44:09 PST 2013

On 01/31/2013 01:25 AM, Alex Mandel wrote:
> I haven't had a chance to fully test this so I was hesitant to file
> tickets yet.
>
> I think I have discovered how to get usb sticks to boot on a Mac, but at
> the same time discovered that many high end new machines of all
> varieties are about to break our current distro in usb form. The key,
> UEFI booting is only supported in 64 bit Ubuntu ( and from what I can
> tell that goes for all OSs). Sadly not circumventable like turning
> Secure boot off (a tip we should reference somewhere).

Slight correction, switching to Legacy Bios works. Note you must switch
back to boot something like Windows 8. In my case mine had the option to
support both, and default to UEFI. Note, Macs don't have this option so
they're still dead in the water without 64 bit.

Doing this I got v5.5 to boot, apparently that's the most current one I
have on a stick right now. I'll test 6.0 and 6.5beta tomorrow and then
go looking for a Mac to prove my theory.