[Live-demo] ipython overview

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 14:23:07 PDT 2014

Hi ipython people,

I've just had a look over the ipython docs, and also a quick look at the
ipython project.
At the moment, it seems that the docs that we have on OSGeo-Live are
mostly a copy of the generic iPython website docs, which I don't think
is going help inspire GIS users to try ipython.

Am I right in understanding that to solve a spatial problem, all you
need do is include a grass library, say "x=some grass function", specify
a dataset, say plot, and you get a result?
Sounds really cool.
(But I don't get that from the docs)

What is missing is specific information about using ipython to solve
geospatial type problems.
It actually might be easier working backwards from a quickstart use
case, then writing the Project Overview.

In particular, can we get a description with screenshots of using
ipython to solve a geospatial problem (using one of the osgeolive datasets).
One of these screenshots or maybe a collage of screenshots can then be
used in the Project Overview.

--
Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager