[Live-demo] draft 8.0 press release

Hamish hamish.webmail at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 00:22:47 PDT 2014

Cameron wrote:
> I've taken a first cut at our 8.0 press release. (Trying to keep it
> brief so that it gets read).
>
> Am I missing anything? Any extra we need to mention in the Release
> Highlights:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc_Press_Release_54#Release_Highlights

Hi, thanks for doing that. I've just fixed a few small typos & such.

some small comments:
 - a direct link to the download page?
 - some quantification from Alex's stats about how hundreds of people are downloading and using it every week?
 - maybe it's not the right place to link to the errata page*, but what is?
 - mention somewhere/expand on that it runs on a wide array of PC and Mac hardware with no drivers or anything else to install, not touching your existing hard drives at all? unless you want it to.

Today I've tested some with a burn to a DVD (I got an i/o error verifying the disc but I think it's a burner/media issue not one with the iso), and also tested on a 4gb usb without persistence space (we are big this time, so no hope for that unless you have an 8gb+ usb).

[*] Errata page established, testing keeps turning up little things..
   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc/Errata/8.0

regards,
Hamish