[Live-demo] [OSGeo] #1428: Include GeoPandas on Live 8.5

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 02:22:19 PST 2014

On 15/12/2014 6:45 am, Brian M Hamlin wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 06:26:18 +1100, Cameron Shorter
> <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>  > I'd be interested to hear you expand on your thoughts about adding
>  > GeoPandas to OSGeoLive. (I don't know anything about the project).  >
> ..  >
>  > My first look at the website implies to me that the project might
> still
>  > be immature, as it is still at version 0.1.  >
>
>  Yes it is true, the project is new and marked as an early version.
> However, earlier this year the core authors managed to solicit Sean
> Gilles to directly contribute. Sean Gilles has single-handedly done
> for python geospatial what ten years of committees and projects did
> not do - by authoring clean and simple geo interfaces to the most
> fundemental commandline apps in the OSGeo toolspace.  So when Sean
> Gilles signed on this year as an author of GeoPandas, my expectations
> changed.. I have been working with the GeoPandas library just a tiny
> bit. It works as advertised and is built not as a partial effort, but
> rather the spare and lean basis of more to come...  I suggest we add
> GeoPandas in quietly, as it takes almost negligible disk space, and
> adds value to others in the python geospatial stack.
>  --

Hi Brian,
I note that a project might not take disk space, but probably more
important is ensuring:
1. There is are people willing to maintain the app and documentation
long term.
2. We are recommending a good and established project to osgeolive users.
Every project that we accept should have start with answering questions
from:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#How_to_add_a_project_to_OSGeoLive

--
Cameron Shorter,