[Live-demo] Python for Oceanographers example, Iris fix

maplabs at light42.com maplabs at light42.com
Sat Feb 1 09:19:58 PST 2014

Hi All -

  some people may question all the effort around python+numpy+matplotlib for this release.
Why not just wait until September to catch up to Ubuntu Trusty ? so much easier...

  My interaction with the physical sciences people recently, tells me that iPython notebook is very
significant.. and worth the effort to make current.. for example

    http://ocefpaf.github.io/blog/2013/09/23/cartopy/

    https://github.com/ocefpaf/python4oceanographers

some background here:

    http://climatecode.org/activities/gsoc/2011-fernandes/

Cartopy is featured - from the Iris+Cartopy main page  (http://scitools.org.uk/index.html)

"Iris and Cartopy are open source Python libraries initially created by  the Met Office to enable the visualisation of weather and climate data.  Both libraries are actively developed in collaboration with the  scientific community."

--

  I believe this, along with netCDF / HDF5 support, are significant and should be featured on the disk prominently. but

The SciPy tool chain is under development and it is true, can be messy.. So we need to call the community to advise us on reaching our goals of stability on the Live, and at the same time, be a showcase for high-quality, relevent work like this.

best regards from Berkeley, California

--
Brian M Hamlin
OSGeo California Chapter