[Live-demo] issue with installation from OSGeo Live

Peter Baumann p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
Thu Jan 16 11:32:18 PST 2014

Hi activists,

Yesterday I tried to install Kubuntu from OSGeo Live, and failed: the final
"continue" button did not want to change to active, as the preceding steps did,
and the installation process stalled (no complete freeze of the running system).

Rebooting and inspecting the target partition on the hard disk I found
- formatting done
- files installed, at first glance (but see below)
- MBR boot manager not updated
- After an update of the boot manager to point to this partition it turned out
it wouldn't boot: no system found - so something essential must have been missed
in the installation.

If that is a general (reproducible) problem I suggest to simply remove that
install choice from the menu - IMHO it is not relevant in this particular case
anyway.

My setup: Dell Latitude e6420, SSD 512 GB, 8 GB RAM. Natively installed is
Ubuntu 12.04, pretty current wrt updates. OSGeo Live run via USB stick. No other
issue with the Live system, it booted and ran nicely.

-Peter

--
Dr. Peter Baumann
    mail: p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
    tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
    www.rasdaman.com, mail: baumann at rasdaman.com
"Si forte in alienas manus oberraverit hec peregrina epistola incertis ventis dimissa, sed Deo commendata, precamur ut ei reddatur cui soli destinata, nec preripiat quisquam non sibi parata." (mail disclaimer, AD 1083)