[Live-demo] UbuntuGIS Weekly Report 7 - and java packaging paradigms

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 15:40:04 PDT 2014

Hi Jerome,
Thanks for your report.
I was chatting with Jody (CCed) ~ a week ago, who explained that
geotools is typically is broken up into multiple .war files, of which a
subset are then packaged into java projects. This results in less of the
geotools library being included in a downstream application, but also
means that the same code is packaged multiple times.

This different in concept to the debian packaging paradigm.
I suspect this may result in version mismatches between downstream projects.

With regards to the paradigm we chose for OSGeo-Live, I'd be inclined to
err toward the .deb process, but am prepared to be convinced otherwise.

--
Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager