[Live-demo] Installing osgeo-live-vm-7.9.7z with Oracle VirtualBox

Richard Thomas richard.thomas at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jun 7 07:33:47 PDT 2014

Problem for me when trying to run the following line from the quickstart
instructions:
     user at osgeolive:~$ sudo apt-get install build-essential
linux-headers-generic

during an installation of osgeo-live-vm-7.9.7z VM (downloaded today)
with VirtualBox (downloaded 2 days ago). I tried to carefully follow the
steps on:
http://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/virtualization_quickstart.html

The solution I found was to ensure that the XUbuntu was fully updated
before executing the line above. Although its all working now, the
initial errors were as follows:

user at osgeolive:~/Desktop$ sudo apt-get install build-essential
linux-headers-generic
[sudo] password for user:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
   dpkg-dev libdpkg-perl linux-headers-3.2.0-60
linux-headers-3.2.0-60-generic
Suggested packages:
   debian-keyring
Recommended packages:
   libalgorithm-merge-perl
The following NEW packages will be installed
   build-essential dpkg-dev libdpkg-perl linux-headers-3.2.0-60
   linux-headers-3.2.0-60-generic linux-headers-generic
0 to upgrade, 6 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
Need to get 13.3 MB of archives.
After this operation, 70.2 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Err http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main
libdpkg-perl all 1.16.1.2ubuntu7.2
   404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.15 80]
Err http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main dpkg-dev
all 1.16.1.2ubuntu7.2
   404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.15 80]
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main
build-essential i386 11.5ubuntu2.1 [5,796 B]
Get:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main
linux-headers-3.2.0-60 all 3.2.0-60.91 [11.7 MB]
Get:3 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main
linux-headers-3.2.0-60-generic i386 3.2.0-60.91 [976 kB]
Err http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main
linux-headers-generic i386 3.2.0.60.71
   404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.15 80]
Err http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-security/main
linux-headers-generic i386 3.2.0.60.71
   404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.14 80]
Fetched 12.7 MB in 29s (424 kB/s)
Failed to fetch
http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/d/dpkg/libdpkg-perl_1.16.1.2ubuntu7.2_all.deb
http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/d/dpkg/dpkg-dev_1.16.1.2ubuntu7.2_all.deb
404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.15 80]
Failed to fetch
http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux-meta/linux-headers-generic_3.2.0.60.71_i386.deb
404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.14 80]
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with
--fix-missing?

If other people are likely to have the same problem, it might be worth
adding a note to the quickstart web page with the appropriate command
line instructions to perform the update (I just responded to the
unsolicited prompt from the OS a few minutes later to do some updates).

Richard

P.S. nice work in providing a pre-built VM image with lots of GIS
goodies pre-installed. Having just built a separate Linux VM from an ISO
file and started to install other packages I appreciate the efforts saved!