[Live-demo] reporting shellShock bug in OSgeo Live

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Nov 20 10:30:02 PST 2014

Thanks for bringing it up, I though we had made a formal announcement
about that issue but can't find it.

I'll also take this moment to restate, which we plan to add prominently
to the website, OSGeo-Live is not intended for production deployment as
a server. It is intentionally made with weak passwords and way more
services than typical turned on in order to make demos and training easier.

Running recommendations include,
1. Do not install ssh server unless you lock it down properly.
2. Run the virtual machine behind a NAT so that it is not reachable from
the outside world (default for desktop virtualization).
3. If you do run it on a local network for testing, firewall it so it
can't be seen from outside the local network.
4. As with any OS, always do security updates in a timely manner.
OSGeo-Live built on Lubuntu notifies you weekly of updates.

Note the shell shock bug really isn't an issue if you follow the
guidelines above.

>>> http://live.osgeo.org