[Live-demo] FOSS4G Drives

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Wed Sep 10 21:58:14 PDT 2014

On Fedora 20, do 'sudo yum install exfat-utils fuse-exfat'. Got it
mounted and all that! I downloaded it over the weekend, though, and
built a virtual machine.

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 10:42 AM, Alex Mandel
<tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
> To read the exfat formatted drives in Ubuntu 14.04 you need to install
> sudo apt-get install exfat-fuse exfat-utils
>
> For those demo machines that don't have network, grab the deb packages
> from http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/exfat-fuse and copy over via usb
> drive.
>
> On Ubuntu 12.04 you need a ppa to get it
> sudo apt-add-repository ppa:relan/exfat
> sudo apt-get install fuse-exfat exfat-utils
>
> I checked the contents, it just has the full iso file.
>
> The options I see are:
> 1. Use startup creator on the booth laptops to create bootable drives.
>
> 2. Format the drives fat and copy the mini iso + vbox installers (that I
> provided to Eli)
> 2a. We can probably dump the Win/Mac installers outside the iso to be
> copied separately.
> (I suspect we can bash script this)
>
> I think I know why the manufacturer made the drives exfat, fat formatted
> drives don't support files larger than 4 GB.
>
> Option 2 is probably best unless someone has a low power laptop. It
> should also take less total time to make per drive.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism on a Stick
http://j.mp/CompJournoStickOverview

Remember, if you're traveling to Bactria, Hump Day is Tuesday and Thursday.