[Live-demo] python 2 and 3 in the next five years

Brian M Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Thu Apr 16 12:36:54 PDT 2015

Hi Paul -

  I read with interest your recent email (got a high rating in hacker news today)

  https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2015/04/msg00005.html

I think you have gone too far with the "cheerleading" when you say Python 2 is "old, broken and deprecated" ... on the contrary, python 2.7 and its ecosystem is outperforming plenty of other language and development stacks out there, has a very well-understood development model and a *ton* of very useful libraries..

  the OSGeo-Live is a linux setup based on Debian/Ubuntu ..

  http://live.osgeo.org

  we are grateful to the Debian project, and have been very satisfied with our own progress in the last five years or so, being based on Debian/Ubuntu.  We present code that makes and uses maps.. some of that code is dense and some of it obscure, however, the quality is very very good. We take a point of view generally that old does not mean broken by default.

  Please think twice when you throw out hyperbole.. I understand there is an interest in the next python language and its stack. but that does not mean the existing one is broken .. quite the opposite..

  best regards from Berkeley, California

--
Brian M Hamlin
OSGeo California Chapter