[Live-demo] Problem with mounting shared folder in OsgeoLive 8.5

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Apr 22 08:27:16 PDT 2015

On 04/22/2015 05:01 AM, Johan Van de Wauw wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 12:52 PM, Elena Mezzini <elena.mezzini at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I would also suggest to upgrade the OSGeo-Live Quickstart for Running in
>> a Virtual Machine, because a lot of little things are outdated: e.g.
>> the name of packages, screenshots of Virtual Box "Virtual Hard Disk"
>> and of VM settings "General- Advanced", but mainly: commands for
>> adding "VBOXADDITIONS".
> Note that OSGeo live is a volunteer effort and you can help - so feel
> free to send updated screenshots.

Perhaps this is time to check in on the plan to migrate the docs to git,
as that would better enable additional contributors.

> For the VBOXADDITIONS part I think we should consider installing these
> by default, so the instructions would not be needed anymore! I'll
> raise this at the beginning of our next release cycle.

We have discussed this many times in the past. It breaks compatibility
with other virtualization platforms (VMWare, Parallels, etc).

Also in the past as I noted in a previous email the ose guest additions
did not work with the non open source vbox. Maybe this has changed, or
perhaps the instructions just need to fork depending on which vbox you
install.