[Live-demo] 64bit version

Johan Van de Wauw johan.vandewauw at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 06:29:31 PDT 2015

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 2:46 PM, Angelos Tzotsos <gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a good time to start thinking about the 64 bit support.
> In my opinion we do not have enough regular testers to support dual arch for
> our releases.

How much work would it be to have one build in 64 bit so we can identify issues?

I'm actually not expecting many issues - apart from the fact that we
will have less memory available: C programs are ususally also built
and used in debian/ubuntu, script programs continue working and for
java we should maybe check for hardcoded paths.

My proposal would be to build for both architectures and to have one
supported version on which we focus our tests.

And just take the opportunity to say that the best way to support
different architectures is to package as many things as possible in
debian/ubuntu. So in the end we can have OsGeo live on raspberry pi
and mobile phones as well :-) [1]

Johan
[1] This blogpost actually shows content from our quickstart on saga
and mapserver: http://blog.gisky.be/2014/08/turning-android-device-into-gis.html