[Live-demo] Submit new project - GPlates

John Cannon john.cannon at sydney.edu.au
Tue Dec 1 21:07:22 PST 2015

Hi all,

We’d like to include GPlates (currently in OSGeo incubation) in the OSGeo-Live 9.5 release.

Please find answers to the Live Disc application questions<https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc_Apply> below...

Regards,
John

What is its name?

    GPlates

What is the home page URL?

    http://www.gplates.org

Which OSI approved Open Source Licence is used?

    GNU General Public License, version 2.

What does the application do and how does it add value to the GeoSpatial stack of software?

    GPlates is desktop software for the interactive visualisation of plate-tectonics. GPlates offers a novel combination of interactive plate-tectonic reconstructions, geographic information system (GIS) functionality and raster data visualisation. GPlates adds value to the GeoSpatial stack by visualising and manipulating GIS present-day vector/raster data in its reconstructed positions throughout geological history (according to the movement of tectonic plates).

Does the application make use of OGC standards? Which versions of the standards? Client or server? You may wish to add comments about how standards are used.

    The GPlates information model and file format (GPML) is built using the Geography Markup Language (GML - an OGC standard). GPlates also has partial support for Web Feature Service (WFS). GPlates is also looking into support for aspects of other OGC standards such as the symbology encoding standard.

What language is it written in?

    C++ (and a little Python)

Which version of the application should be included in the next OSGeo-Live release?

    GPlates 1.5

Has the application been rolled out to production into risk (ideally risk adverse) organisations? Please mention some of these organisations?

    GPlates has been widely used in industry, academic institutions and government departments for almost a decade. We have a significant number of industry (particularly oil) and academic subscribers to our GPlates announcement and newsletter mailing lists.

What is the Open HUB URL for your project?

    https://www.openhub.net/p/gplates. However the GPlates source code repository is currently private and hence is not yet registered with Openhub. We plan to open access to it as part of the OSGeo incubation process. Part of this is transitioning from Subversion to Github in the first half of 2016.

What is the size of the user community? You can often answer this by mentioning downloads, or describing a healthy, busy email list?

    GPlates has been downloaded over 55,000 times since it was first publicly released. And there are currently around 400 subscribers to our GPlates newsletter mailing list.

What is the size of your developer community?

    Currently 4 developers actively contributing to source code. Students and researchers contribute to documentation, tutorials and newsletters (approx. 10-20).

Do you have a bug free, stable release?

    Yes.

Please discuss the level of testing that your project has gone through.

    We have automated unit tests as well as manual tests (via the user interface).

How long has the project has had mature code.

    GPlates been officially released bi-annually to the general public for almost a decade.

Does the application have a user interface (possibly a command line interface) that a user can interact with?

    Yes. GPlates is a desktop application with a graphical user interface.

If your project is involved in OSGeo Incubation, or has been selected to be presented at FOSS4G, then please mention it.

    GPlates is currently in incubation with OSGeo.

Who will act as the project's liaison person.

    John Cannon, john.cannon at sydney.edu.au

Can you please discuss how your application will be installed.

    We will provide a '.deb' file.

Can the application run in 512 Meg of RAM?

    Yes.

How much disk space will be required to install the application and a suitable example application?

    Application: 20MB. Sample data: 135MB. We could get the sample data down to 57MB if necessary (for a total disk space of 77MB including application). Note that this is uncompressed (disk space). The '.deb' (compressed) installer will be smaller (20MB+135MB compresses to 60MB).

If another dataset would be more appropriate, please discuss here. Is it appropriate, to remove existing demo datasets which may already be included in the standard release.

    For GPlates it is more appropriate to use the existing sample data that comes with GPlates releases.

Each OSGeo-Live application requires a Project Overview available under a CC By and a Quickstart available under a CC By-SA license. (You may release under a second license as well). Will you produce this?

    Yes.

However, if there is room, would you be wishing to include Windows and/or Mac installers?

    Yes. We have both Windows and Mac installers. However they include sample data and hence are probaby too large (~ 100Mb each). As with the Ubuntu .deb installer there is probably the option to remove some of the sample data (see disk space question above), but I'm guessing it's probably not enough to be able to include Windows/Mac installers.