[Live-demo] [live-demo] Migration to git

Jorge Sanz jsanz at osgeo.org
Mon Feb 2 11:04:45 PST 2015

> Hi Frank,
>
> Thanks for your kind words :)
>
> My initial e-mail was a proposal to start discussing moving to git, it was
> not an official roadmap or a migration announcement.
> The goal of this thread is to hear voices of support or voices against the
> Git migration, to see if the developers want this or not. I have discussed
> this issue with lots of developers in the last couple of years, I would like
> to hear their voice here :)
>
> Your understanding is accurate: I just created the Git mirror so we can all
> evaluate how the repository would look like (with history and everything),
> but it is read only for now. In case there is a serious amount of pull
> requests from git, I have a backup plan to commit from Git to SVN but I
> would like to avoid for now :)
>
> Regarding the issue tracker: we could keep the one we currently use, with
> the Trac-Git plugin. I hope that SAC will be able to support us with this.
> We could also start thinking for other solutions like Redmine or Gitlab (for
> source and tracker) if we feel they are superior.
> My personal preference would be to use free solutions for our
> infrastructure. An OSGeo GitLab installation would be great to have.
>
> Cheers,
> Angelos

I'm in favour of using OSGeo infrastructure if it doesn't prevent
collaboration, but that also means bugging SAC with more work so we
have to be sure. I haven't used Gitlab so I don't have an opinion on
it. Let me be clear, I like GitHub, it's great and all, but as OSGeo
Live is a project of the foundation, I think we have (for the good and
the bad) to be an example of how projects can work within OSGeo.
Indeed, I think OSGeo Live is an example of great FOSS4G
collaboration!

Thinking aloud, and assuming we have an OSGeo git/gitlab installation,
do you guys know if it would be possible to have *easily* a double way
synchronization with GitHub or it would cause too much overhead? At
the end, I guess, nothing prevents to have a *main* GitHub repo (nice
for accepting contributions, nifty 1-click pull requests, etc) and a
mirror on an OSGeo git server, keeping the issue tracker in our Trac
or Gitlab. Am I right?

My 2cts

--
Jorge Sanz