[Live-demo] Review of iPython Project Overview

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 21:47:16 PST 2015

Hi Brian,
I've just reviewed your draft Project Overview for iPython / iPython
Notebook. [0]

Rich (CCed), I haven't met you yet, but found your presentation:
"Adventures with GIS: an introduction to IPython and the joy of
play"[1], and suspect (hope) you might want to share some of your
expertise with our OSGeo-Live team. Feel free to chime in on this
conversation.

My comments are initially general:

* I think we still need to explain what is uniquely valuable about
iPython or iPython notebook. Why should I use iPython instead of R, or
QGis or GRASS or something else?

* OSGeo-Live [2] focus is describing geospatial end user applications
(rather than libraries). It doesn't describe languages (such as C, Java,
python). From what I'm gathering, iPython is like a language and isn't
an end-user application so we probably shouldn't be describing iPython
directly. iPython notebook is an end user application. It is like a
cross between an excel spreadsheet and HTML document. However, what we
should be describing is the geospatial functions grouped by user use
case. We shouldn't be referencing GeoPandas by itself, we should be
describing the groups of geopandas functions that can be accessed. See
the qgis overview [3] for an example of this grouping.

[0]
http://adhoc.osgeo.osuosl.org/livedvd/docs/en/overview/ipython_overview.html
[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_fbS4t_Koc
[2] http://live.osgeo.org