[Live-demo] Which version of zoo-project should be installed on OSGeo-Live 9.0?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 04:43:01 PDT 2015

Hi Gerald,
CCing the OSGeo-Live list with your permission. Comments inline.

On 20/07/2015 6:11 pm, Fenoy Gerald wrote:
> Hi Cameron,
> sorry for late reply, sometime personal life take more importance than expected ...
>
> I successfully setup the 1.5.0 version of ZOO-Project on the latest OSGeoLiveDVD 9.0. I have also taken the privilege to add some demonstration application which are now using OpenLayer 3.7.0, Bootstrap and our ZOO-Client (coming with the 1.5.0 release). In fact by now, I would like to add 3 demonstrations applications :
>
>   * the standard one (the one already available but implemented using the mentioned JS libraries)
>   * the demonstration of the gdal_profile (the user can draw a line then have the elevation profile displayed for this feature)
>   * the routing demonstration, which use the same methods as the previous one, after the routing has been run, we re-use the published WFS ressource to display the elevation profile of your computed path.

I'm open to including another demonstration.
The key criteria is:
* The quality and stability of the application and the project is not
compromised.
* The demonstration is understandable, either self explanatory, or
explained in a step-by-step process as part of the Quickstart. Note, the
quickstart is designed to be run in 5 to 15 minutes. There is room to
extend the existing Zoo quickstart. In particular, the existing
quickstart would benefit from adding some extra explanation as to what a
step is aimed to achieve and why you are doing the step.
* The size of the image is not increased significantly
* Improvements are sustainable. (Ie, if the key person is not available
to update the next release, will it still work?)

> The only issue with all this demonstrations is that it uses its own dataset.
Yes, this is an issue.
We try to keep the number of datasets to a minimum, for a few reasons:
1. It takes up less space
2. It means there is less data to maintain between releases, and less QA
checking required.
3. It makes it easier to compare the pros and cons of two different
applications if you can see them using the same data side by side.

If you have a compelling need for a new type of data which is not
already available, then we can discuss adding a new dataset.

>   In fact, I was a bit surprised to not have any data from Korea.
In the past, Hamish has created an OSM extract for the foss4g city.
Unfortunately we haven't had as much access to Hamish's time with the
release, and don't have a Soul OSM extract.

While I agree that it is very cool to use the FOSS4G city for each
release, it does break our principles of minimising long term
maintenance. As such, I think we should keep our OSM dataset extract at
one location, and use that location for examples.

> So I decided to create a new database for storing roads of Seoul (based on an extract of OSM data), I also downloaded some elevation data for South Korea, and I also used the amenities points from OSM. Indeed in the third demonstration interface you can then create a buffer around your computed path and intersect the POIs which are inside this buffer.

I'm hoping this extract that you refer to aligns with prior OSM
extracts? Maybe someone involved with the OSM extracts can comment?

Even so, my suggestion is to select a static example. Note that if you
use screen shots from your Seoul example in your quickstart, then these
screen shots will need to be updated at the next foss4g event, and any
location based words will need to be changed, along with every
translation of the base text. (Something we'd want to avoid).

> So I would like to know if it may be possible to first provide a new shell script to install the ZOO-Kernel and at least the services required by the demonstrations.

It is possible to update the install_zoo.sh script.
However, if there are extensive changes happening we might want to
discuss that.

> I have to admit that I notice the availability of both OTB and SAGA, but I did not try to build the ZOO-Kernel using those libraries and see if it works properly on OSGeoLiveDVD. But I guess it may be of big interest to have this supports activated as it will offer 300+ new services automatically available.
Again, this sounds like a good idea, but if adding lots of extra
functionality, it might be better to wait till the following osgeolive
9.5 release in order to provide more time for testing.

>   Nevertheless, one more time, as for the data, I am a bit disturbed to add more space to the data available on OSGeoLiveDVD which is already too much IMO.
Yes, as above, lets keep the image small if we can.

> Anyway, I think I answered your question that the latest ZOO-Project 1.5.0 can be installed on OSGeoLiveDVD. If I don’t have enough space store the data I used to build the demo, I can still fall back to the data available. Nevertheless, I would really appreciate to know why there is no data for South-Korea or Seoul which is the place for the next FOSS4G.
As above.