[Live-demo] [Ica-osgeo-labs] Looking for Web-GIS syllabi

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Jun 3 09:40:04 PDT 2015

Persistent USB is a usb drive that is read/write enabled with an extra
write file on it. It's not the standard way of making a flash drive.
This is a method that boots directly from the drive.

When using VMs, you have to make sure the Vt instruction set is enabled
on the host bios, and that you actually give it video ram (Vbox by
default only give 12 MB of video ram to the guest). Running the VM from
a flash drive in Vbox is likely slower than running the VM from the host
hard drive.

In the past I installed a VM to the hard drive of the main computers and
had students pass through their usb stick to the virtual machine for
saving copies of files to take home. Also a shared folder with the host
machine works too.

If you have a decent IT team you could modify the VMs with an NFS mount
on the network that they can save files to.