[Live-demo] ISO not isohybrid, lacks UEFI support

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 01:12:33 PST 2016

Hi Ben,

Your proposal sounds like a good idea, although I have to confess that I
don't know enough about building USBs contribute in a meaningful way to
the discussion.

Are you able to confirm that adding these extra packages will not add
much size to the final OSGeo-Live ISO?

And that there is not likely to be any adverse side effects by the
additions?

I'd be interested to hear if Angelos has an opinion on this.

Warm regards, Cameron

On 2/12/2016 10:16 AM, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:
> The current ISO image osgeo-live-10.0-amd64.iso is not isohybrid, and
> lacks UEFI support. As far as I know, all current official Ubuntu live
> images have both. Shipping isohybrid images simplifies USB thumb drive
> creation because the ISO can then be written directly to a raw device
> with dd without needing any other processing, not to mention
> consistency with Ubuntu.
>
> Does anyone object to changing the ISO build process to make isohybrid
> images with UEFI support? This should a matter of a few additional
> xorriso arguments.
>

> The current ISO is suitable for MBR isohybrid but lacks UEFI support:
>
> $ isohybrid -u osgeo-live-10.0-amd64.iso
> isohybrid: osgeo-live-10.0-amd64.iso: unable to find efi image
>

> The existing boot equipment of the ISO contains only MBR support:
>
> $ xorriso -indev osgeo-live-10.0-amd64.iso -report_el_torito plain
> -report_system_area plain
> xorriso 1.4.6 : RockRidge filesystem manipulator, libburnia project.
>
> xorriso : NOTE : Loading ISO image tree from LBA 0
> xorriso : UPDATE : 502 nodes read in 1 seconds
> xorriso : NOTE : Detected El-Torito boot information which currently
> is set to be discarded
> Drive current: -indev 'osgeo-live-10.0-amd64.iso'
> Media current: stdio file, overwriteable
> Media status : is written , is appendable
> Boot record  : El Torito
> Media summary: 1 session, 2062470 data blocks, 4028m data, 8267m free
> Volume id    : 'OSGEOLIVE10'
> El Torito catalog  : 164  1
> El Torito cat path : /isolinux/boot.cat
> El Torito images   :   N  Pltf  B   Emul  Ld_seg  Hdpt Ldsiz         LBA
> El Torito boot img :   1  BIOS  y   none  0x0000  0x00 4         165
> El Torito img path :   1  /isolinux/isolinux.bin
> El Torito img opts :   1  boot-info-table isohybrid-suitable
> xorriso : NOTE : No System Area was loaded
>

> Kind regards,

M +61 419 142 254