[Live-demo] What, no Github ?

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 11:54:29 PST 2016

Hi Brian,

Pull requests are welcome from any kind of infrastructure (git-web,
gitlab, kallithea, trac, bitbucket, github, https+git, whatever...)
Everyone is free to set up a git clone of OSGeoLive and send an e-mail
here with the proposed commits to be merged.
This way, we can all comment on the proposed changes, and more eyes can
review.

Regarding security, if you feel that your git repository cannot be
publicly known, I am offering to pull your changes and host them in my
own branches for review. e.g. your last commits are here [1] and here
[2] for review.

I also hope that we will have an official (and free as in speech) OSGeo
git host one day.
Personally I had a RhodeCode host since 2011 [3] which is now forked as
Kallithea [4], so I understand your views.
I believe that since git is distributed, we do not actually depend on
any host.

Best,
Angelos

[1] https://github.com/kalxas/OSGeoLive/commits/rasdaman_logs
[2] https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive/pull/71
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RhodeCode#History
[4]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RhodeCode#Licensing_change_and_project_fork

On 02/10/2016 04:09 AM, Brian M Hamlin wrote:
> Hi All -
>
>    You may know, I strongly object to using Github.com as the repository for the MASTER copy of an OSGeo.org project. So, I did some research, and installed my own git server.. in greek the name is Καλλιθέα (Kallithéa) [0]  It works very well - it has many of the "swap branch and compare" features that GitHub.com has.. and .. it is federated project management, not Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) from a commercial company.
>
>    So, while making changes to OSGeo Live [1] 9.5 beta .. I will make "pull requests" from my own git instance, to the list. Just one problem.. security.. I am still learning how to secure this new server setup.. Temporarily, I have exchanged  SERVER:PORT information privately with the build-master, Angelos. Now his git "knows" the address of my git.. Pull requests from me are assumed to be from current MASTER branch.. (oh, also I need to setup the https)
>
>    git pull http://SERVER:PORT/osgeolive_athens  BRANCH
>
>    today, the branch was    rasdaman_log_quiet     ## a patch to get the configure/make/make install output out of our master build logs..
>
> I am sure people will continue to use Github.com to make pull requests, but with some setup, you too can use a distributed, federated model of Open Source Software Development, and I encourage you to think through the benefits and decide for yourselves.
>
> [0]  https://kallithea-scm.org/
> [1]  https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive
>
> --
> Brian M Hamlin