[Live-demo] Postgres 9.5 on Live 9.0

Brian M Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Tue Jan 5 11:12:45 PST 2016

Hi All -

  without listing Pg 9.5 details right away, lets think strategically.. two points:

* OSGeo Live is pre-built and solid, not bleeding edge.. so stable is valued over newest release..

* for application-layer interop, JSON handling in Postgres is a Very Important Feature

  What is we could get the best JSON features from Pg 9.5, in Pg 9.4 from package ?  so..
  There is an extension to Postgres that is a native "backport" of JSON features from 9.5, in 9.4 [0]
I suggest we add the JSONBX extension to Pg 9.4 and leave the packaging of 9.5 alone "at this time"

  [0]   http://www.pgxn.org/dist/jsonbx/1.0.0/

best regards from Berkeley, California
-- Brian M Hamlin

On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 19:54:15 +0100, Johan Van de Wauw  wrote:

      On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 3:34 PM, Pieter du Plooy
 wrote:
> Hi guys, and happy new year.
>
> Are there any plans to make Postgres 9.5 available as a package after the
> 9.0 release, and have a postgis package compiled agains it as well?
>
> Postgres 9.5 will be release soon (has been stamped), and I would really
> like the upgrading to that.
Why?

What is/are the features that makes it worth switching to 9.5?
In the context of our live dvd.
Will these be used in the samples?

Brian M Hamlin
OSGeo California Chapter