[Live-demo] R Studio on OSGeo Live

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Jun 6 23:16:57 PDT 2016

On 2016-06-06 14:08, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Hi Robin,
>
> We were discussing R Studio in our weekly OSGeo-Live meeting today, and
> are undecided on including it.
>
> Items mentioned:
>
> * How big is R Studio (will it fit on OSGeo-Live)

505 MB not including dependencies, well sorta they are bundled.
It's only available as a deb with deps built in right now. Known issue
with a possible solution in the future. 16.04 might be possible for such
an un-bundling.

> * Does the project have someone prepared to champion it on OSGeo-Live
> long term? (Maybe you?)

It's a really simple install. It does not have much of a developer
community though, dev is basically done by one company that makes a
competing paid version. Quickstart would basically be the R quickstart,
as it's an IDE for R.

> * We haven't yet received an email application for the project to join
> OSGeo-Live, as per:
>
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc_Apply
>
> Thoughts?

It would make sense to approach the Rstudio team/company if we wanted to
include it. The followup would be do we also include Rstudio server and
Shiny server?

While I use it daily, I'm not sure if it's a good fit or not right now.

-Alex