[Live-demo] OSGeoLive 9.5 status: pre-RC - Jupyter Notebooks

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 14:17:51 PST 2016

Hi all,
I should clarify my statement below, (as has been to me off list), as it
might appear that I'm implying a lack of future, or quality of notebooks.

My comments below relate to level of external testing and size of
community who have reviewed Massimo's notebooks.

I think that Massimo has done an excellent job pioneering notebooks
within the OSGeo-Live framework, and these notebooks provide a great
platform from which to demonstrate OSGeo functionality.
I think our next step is to work toward bringing a groundswell of
community behind the development of these notebooks.

My suggested approach differs a little with that proposed by Massimo,
although I think we are aiming toward the same long term goal (of wide
adoption and community maintenance of Notebooks within the OSGeo-Live
framework).

I'm proposing that we release just a few of the Notebooks first, seek
community feedback on this small subset, adapt if required. But most
importantly build an OSGeo-Live notebook community and buy in before
going too wide.

This question is still unresolved within the core OSGeo-Live team, and
we need to make a decision fast, as our Release Candidate is due next
Monday 14 March. Opinions from our OSGeo-Live community would be greatly
appreciated so we can make a wise decision moving forward.

Warm regards, Cameron

--
Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager