[Live-demo] GSOC 2016

sarthak agarwal sarthak0415 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 11:42:19 PST 2016

Thank you for the reply Cameron.

I will try to read all the previous mail related to this project from
archives and try to make sense out of by them.
I will get back to you by tomorrow with my revised understanding and doubts.

Meanwhile any help from the community will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Sarthak

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 12:57 AM, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com
> [...]

> Re clarity on what is required for this project, no need to apologise, as
> I think that we in the OSGeo-Live community need to provide the clarity to
> ourselves. I'm hoping Massimo will respond with some suggestions.
> Warm regards, Cameron
>

> On 12/03/2016 6:22 am, sarthak agarwal wrote:
>
> Thanks for the reply Cameron.
>
> I read the blog and last year's proposal
> <http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/public/google/gsoc2015/massimo_di_stefano/5643440998055936> and
> what I understood from it is -
> 1. "Create a notebook for OSgeo live (I am not very sure which all topics
> will be covered in the notebook)."
> 2. The project has already started last year and I have to add more topics
> to it (Correct me if I am wrong).
> 3. The notebook will contain description of the dataset and some kind of
> code
>
> Right Now my understanding is pretty vague, sorry for that.
>
> Can you please elaborate the idea so that I have a clearer picture of what
> is needed in the project. And also what will be the scope of the project
> (GSOC)?
>
> Would you like me to do any qualification task to back my technical
> skills, I'll be happy to do it.
>
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 11:10 PM, Cameron Shorter <
> <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Sarthak,
>> I'm CCing the other OSGeo-Live mentor, Massimo.
>> I suggest you also CC our email list: <Live-demo at lists.osgeo.org>
>> Live-demo at lists.osgeo.org.
>>
>> The current OSGeo-Live proposal builds upon last year's work from Massimo.
>> Over the last couple of days, Massimo and I have been debating the focus
>> of Notebooks, and I'll ask Massimo to describe his suggestion to you.
>>
>> For me, I think the core of OSGeo-Live is to provide tools which make it
>> easy for other developers to demonstrate their applications, and to do this
>> in a way that is easy to maintain long term. Background here:
>>
>> http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/memoirs-of-cat-herder-coordinating.html
>>
>> Notebooks, once adopted, should help with that.
>>
>> Other areas which would help include:
>> * Setting up a process which makes translation easier
>> * Improving packaging, in particular of java applications within a debian
>> based environment
>> These last two ideas possibly won't qualify for GSoC sponsorship (which
>> is about coding)
>>
>> Warm regards,
>> Cameron
>>
>> (Feel free to CC the osgeolive email list in your response)
>>

>> On 11/03/2016 1:53 am, sarthak agarwal wrote:
>>

>>>  Hello devs,
>>>
>>> Myself Sarthak currently working under Dr. KS Rajan as a research
>>> student in Spatial Informatics Lab, IIIT hyderabad . I am currently working
>>> in spatial databases by optimizing the performance of mongoDb for spatial
>>> databases. Previously i have worked on Billboard placement optimization
>>> problem(using QGIS) and with pgRouting as a part of my previous GSOC