[Live-demo] Notebook-review

Brian M Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Mon Mar 14 13:34:08 PDT 2016

+1

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 07:28:36 +1100, Cameron Shorter  wrote:

       Hi Massimo,
I also agree that a review process is in order. I'd actually extend to
suggest that a development process should be described as well, and that
we should align with existing OSGeo-Live documentation processes.

Ie, we should be able to find Notebook processes linked from here:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#Documentation

I also think that we should describe the processes in the OSGeo-Live
wiki (which uses media wiki) rather than a git wiki. This is to ensure
consistency with the rest of OSGeo-Live. Although I'm open to being
convinced otherwise if there are strong advantages to using a git wiki.

I'd suggest following a similar style to the Quickstart guide:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Application_Quick_Start
For example, create a template Notebook, with comments, that someone
else can follow to create a new Quickstart.

I see our weak point from an OSGeo-Live project's point of view is
sourcing a person or people willing to provide detailed review of the
Notebooks.
In particular, it is a significant time sink reviewing documentation to
ensure it has well formed, concise English, at the standard of a
technical text book. (This is the standard we have been targeting so
far, and I believe Notebooks should also be required to meet this standard).
I'd guess that about 60% of time of creating a good notebook would be in
writing code, 40% in describing it.

Massimo, for context, your docs are quite good, but I'd estimate that
they would be ~ 10% to 20% of your effort would be required to review
the docs to our current standards. Reviewing the English in your
Quickstart took me 3 to 4 hours, and that didn't include running any of
the steps.

Sourcing someone with good English writing skills to write Notebooks
will help the review process a lot.

Cheers, Cameron

--
Cameron Shorter,