[Live-demo] PyWPS application

Brian M Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Fri May 13 14:36:34 PDT 2016

pyWPS +1

On Fri, 13 May 2016 06:18:31 -0400, Tom Kralidis  wrote:

       Hi all: below is the application for PyWPS for inclusion into
OSGeo Live. If
it helps, the below can also be found at [1].

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact me.

Thanks

.Tom

[1] https://github.com/geopython/pywps/wiki/OSGeoLiveApplication

Please describe your application.

What is its name? PyWPS

What is the home page URL? http://pywps.org

Which OSI approved Open Source Licence is used? GPL for PyWPS 3.x.
Note that PyWPS 4 (in development) is a rewrite and will be available
under MIT

What does the application do and how does it add value to the
GeoSpatial stack of software? PyWPS provides an OGC WPS server
implementation written in Python. PyWPS allows for processes to be
exposed, discovered and executed in support of geospatial workflows

Does the application make use of OGC standards? Which versions of the
standards? Client or server? You may wish to add comments about how
standards are used. PyWPS implements OGC WPS 1.0.0 (2.0.0 in
development)

What language is it written in? Python

Which version of the application should be included in the next
OSGeo-Live release? 3.2.5

Stability is very important to us on OSGeo-Live. If a new user finds a
bug in one application, it will tarnish the reputation of all other
OSGeo-Live applications as well. (We pay most attention to the
following answers):

If risk adverse organisations have deployed your application into
production, it would imply that these organisations have verified the
stability of your software. Has the application been rolled out to
production into risk (ideally risk adverse) organisations? Please
mention some of these organisations? The Meteorological Service of
Canada, the WMO WOUDC project, Department of Earth Observation at the
Friedrich-Schiller University Jena (Germany), International Union of
Soil Sciences, NASA (JPL), UNEP/GRID, Luxembourg Institute of Science
and Technology (LIST)

Open HUB provides metrics to help assess the health of a project. Eg:
http://adhoc.osgeo.osuosl.org/livedvd/docs/en/metrics.html Could you
please ensure that your project is registered with Open HUB, and Open
HUB has been updated to reference the correct code repository(s) for
your project. What is the Open HUB URL for your project?
https://www.openhub.net/p/PyWPS

What is the size of the user community? You can often answer this by
mentioning downloads, or describing a healthy, busy email list? In
2016 the PyWPS mailing list received 250 messages, averaging almost 2
messages per day. So far, 17 different individuals have subscribed the
contribution agreement. The pywps-3 repository has been forked 43
times and the pywps-4 repository has 17 forks.

What is the size of your developer community (5-6 core developers)

Do you have a bug free, stable release? yes

Please discuss the level of testing that your project has gone
through. PyWPS has regression testing. Bugs/issues are managed via
GitHub and triaged accordingly
How long has the project has had mature code. Started in 2006, PyWPS
has had stable releases since 2008 with PyWPS 3.0.0

OSGeo-Live is targeted at applications that people can use rather than
libraries. Does the application have a user interface (possibly a
command line interface) that a user can interact with? (We do make an
exception for Incubated OSGeo Libraries, and will include Project
Overviews for these libraries, even if they don't have a user
interface.). PyWPS is configurable via the command line and
configuration files. PyWPS does not have a graphical user interface

We give preference to OSGeo Incubated Projects, or Projects which are
presented at FOSS4G conferences. If your project is involved in OSGeo
Incubation, or has been selected to be presented at FOSS4G, then
please mention it. PyWPS is currently working through the OSGeo
incubation process

With around 50 applications installed on OSGeo-Live, us core packagers
do not have the time to liaise with every single project email list
for each OSGeo-Live release. So we require a volunteer (or two) to
take responsibility for liaising between OSGeo-Live and the project's
communities. This volunteer will be responsible for ensuring the
install scripts and English documentation are updated by someone for
each OSGeo-Live release. Also test that the installed application and
Quickstart documentation works as expected on release candidate
releases of OSGeo-Live. Who will act as the project's liaison person.
Tom Kralidis
OSGeo-Live is Ubuntu Linux based. Our installation preference is:
Install from UbuntuGIS or DebianGIS Install .deb files from a PPA or
Write a custom install script. Can you please discuss how your
application will be installed. via UbuntuGIS and install script with
configuration

OSGeo-Live is memory and disk constrained. Can the application run in
512 Meg of RAM? Yes

How much disk space will be required to install the application and a
suitable example application? ~ 250KB

We aim to reduce disk space by having all applications make use of a
common dataset. We encourage applications to make use of the example
datasets already installed:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Example_Datasets If
another dataset would be more appropriate, please discuss here. Is it
appropriate, to remove existing demo datasets which may already be
included in the standard release.
Each OSGeo-Live application requires a Project Overview available
under a CC By and a Quickstart available under a CC By-SA license.
(You may release under a second license as well). Will you produce
this? Yes

In past releases, we have included Windows and Mac installers for some
applications. It is likely we won't have space for these in future
releases. However, if there is room, would you be wishing to include
Windows and/or Mac installers? Yes, this is feasible given the very
nature of Python

Brian M Hamlin
OSGeo California Chapter
blog.light42.com