[Live-demo] OSGeo-Live 10.5 schedule updates

Brian M Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Wed Oct 12 14:21:01 PDT 2016

As far as I know (AFAIK)  -- the reason the New Year release is moved, is to avoid working during the Winter Holidays. I would prefer not to work during the holidays this year, myself.best regards from Berkeley, California  --BrianĀ On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 07:04:36 +1100, Cameron Shorter  wrote:

Angelos,
We will be running into our usual problem of having major decision
points happening over the Christmas holiday period. (Possibly more of a
issue for us in the Southern Hemisphere because it is our long summer
holiday period). However, moving a few weeks either way doesn't really
help much.

One thing I suggest we consider is whether we decide to drop back to 1
release per year. OSGeo-Live is more stable than it used to be, and I
question the return-on-effort we gain by putting out 2 releases per year.

Warm regards, Cameron.

On 13/10/2016 12:20 AM, Bas Couwenberg wrote:
> On 2016-10-12 14:45, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
>> So to keep schedule somehow balanced, I think we need to move 10.5
>> release a bit in order to keep the 6 month cycle. Instead of targeting
>> for 10th of March, I propose we go for 10th of February this year.
>>
>> Can you please review and comment on the proposed dates?
>> Is anyone aware of an important date/conference around February/March
>> that we should target for?
>
> Note that the OSGeo-Live 10.5 cycle overlaps the key release dates for
> the next Debian stable release:
>
>  [2016-Nov-05] Transition freeze
>  [2016-Dec-05] Mandatory 10-day migrations
>  [2017-Jan-05] Soft freeze (no new packages, no re-entry, 10-day
> migrations)
>  [2017-Feb-05] Full freeze
>
> This may or may not be a good thing.
>
> From the Soft freeze date packages for Debian will likely be uploaded
> to experimental if they are not intended for inclusion in stretch.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Bas

M +61 419 142 254