[Live-demo] Mass production of OSGeo Live USB - any SMEs providing this ?

James Klassen jklassen at sharedgeo.org
Tue Apr 18 07:58:33 PDT 2017

Not sure if it is useful to others but I wrote a program [1] to help me
when Bob wants a bunch of OSGeo-Live thumb drives created.  It isn't by any
means perfect or 100% foolproof but it sure makes the job quicker for me.

It takes an image and waits for USBs of the same size to be inserted, then
copys the difference between the image and the drive (this is quicker as
reads are much faster than writes on the thumb drives I have seen).  It
handles multiple thumb drives at a time, so after starting it, it is just
down to changing out drives for new ones as they finish copying.

I make the image running OSGeo Live in KVM and let it build a virtual USB
at the size of the drives I have on hand.  It can help to have the image on
a tmpfs to avoid the source being a bottleneck.

[1] https://github.com/klassenjs/copy_usb