[Live-demo] Motion: Move from 2 releases to 1 per year

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Tue Apr 25 09:26:31 PDT 2017

I think rolling releases would be nice.
If a project has a new release and misses the deadline for a new OSGeo Live
release, it will have to wait another year.
Or even worse, if a new release contains a bug, it will be difficult to
provide a fix for a long time.
However, the arguments for one release per year are absolutely valid.

How about a mix of both?
I think there are projects, that are fully or almost automated, and that
rarely cause problems.
Projects, that follow certain criteria to allow automation, could be
included in rolling releases, and projects, that require a lot of manual
work, will only be updated once per year.
Eventually this will help to push some projects to provide Debian packages,
and some projects that update rarely, will probably be OK with one release
per year.

Daniel

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 11:09 PM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <
bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us> wrote:

> All,
>
> I like the rolling release idea, it will allow for a always up to date
> version of things.  The Stable (yearly) release will always be floating in
> the background too.  Not so sure about the Yearly release schedule though.
> Maybe Yearly at a minimum?  There might be those instances where a yearly
> cycle won’t sync up with OSGeo project, event, etc.
>
> Still a +1
>

> bobb
>
> On Apr 24, 2017, at 6:16 PM, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> As per weekly meeting discussion, we propose to switch from putting out
> two releases per year to putting out one main release per year.
>
> We will likely also be putting out rolling releases which have been
> untested.
>
> Reasons:
>
> * As per prior discussions, we want to use our volunteer time more
> efficiently.
>
> * We have improved build processes to be agile and efficient. However, our
> final test process still has significant manual testing. In particular
> around reviewing and updating documentation, and testing quickstarts.
>
> Please comment and or vote on this proposal.
>
> +1 Cameron
>

> --
> Cameron Shorter
> M +61 419 142 254 <+61%20419%20142%20254>

> "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting
> different results.”
> -  Albert Einstein

Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan
eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de