[Live-demo] [Workshops] FOSS4G 2017 Call for Workshop Proposals - OSGeo-Live

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 11:25:05 PST 2017

Hi Chris, Regina others,

I agree that we hopefully should be able to find people to help create
workshop material and then help present. We can reach out to our
OSGeo-Live community too.

With regards to getting OSGeo-Live working in the cloud, I think that
would be an excellent goal to work on. We did actually get OSGeo-Live
working on one of the early cloud platforms (called click2try which is
now out of business).
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Press_Release_35

Would you like to share your ideas about setting up a remote desktop?
How are you proposing to set this up technically? What options do we
have to help debug? Is it something we can re-use beyond foss4g?

Is your foss4g committee meeting in person or virtual? If virtual, some
of the OSGeo-Live team might be able to join. Alternatively, you might
wish to join the OSGeo-Live weekly meeting, Monday 2:30pm in Boston:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#Contact_Us

Warm regards, Cameron

On 3/2/17 2:38 am, Chris Barnett wrote:
> Hi Cameron,
>
> We’ll be sure to discuss this at our workshop committee meeting this
> evening. My sense is that it is perfectly in line with our vision for
> workshops and that most likely we can find folks to fill in the very
> few gaps that Regina (who is on our committee) is not confident about.
>
> I’d also like to chat with someone from the OSGeo-Live community about
> OSGeo-Live resources. OSGeo-Live USB sticks will be available to
> workshop participants, but we’d also like to make cloud-based
> instances available via remote desktop. I’ve run into a couple of
> technical issues with this and think it would be very useful to draw
> on your collective knowledge and experience. What would be the
> best/most appropriate way to go about this?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
>

>> On Jan 30, 2017, at 6:51 PM, Regina Obe <lr at pcorp.us
>> <mailto:lr at pcorp.us>> wrote:
>>
>> Cameron,
>> I'd be happy to help out with the PostGIS and free data sources, and
>> possibly QGIS and OpenLayers.  Rest of the items I feel less
>> confident training on.
>> I do like the idea of a splash workshop like this, especially for
>> would-be trainers who are interested in using the OSGeo-Live as part
>> of their curriculum.
>> BTWhttp://www.bostongis.com/site was created by me.  Sadly I've been
>> too busy as of late to keep it as up to date as I'd like.
>> Thanks,
>> Regina

>>> oPostGIS
>>> oGeoServer
>>> oMapServer
>>> oWeb Mapping
>>> oGRASS GIS
>>> oGDAL/OGR CLI Tools
>>> opgRouting
>>> oUsing OSGeoLive
>>> oGeoPython
>>> oGvSig
>>> oAerial Mapping and Point Clouds/LIDAR/Photogrammetry
>>> oUsing open source GIS in a cloud environment
>>>

>>> *Important Dates:
>>> *Call for Workshops Closed: March 13, 2017
>>> Workshop Selections Announced: March 20, 2017
>>> Detailed Workshop Program: April 3, 2017
>>> Workshops Take Place at Harvard: August 14/15, 2017
>>>
>>> Feel free to contact me at chrissbarnett at gmail.com
>>> <mailto:chrissbarnett at gmail.com> with any questions that you may
>>> have, and stay tuned for the FOSS4G call for presentations, which
>>> will be opening shortly!
>>> Thanks,
>>> Chris Barnett
>>> Workshop subcommittee