[Live-demo] Transifex update

Baka Niko baka.niko at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 12:59:55 PST 2017

Hi everyone,

Jakob send me the link to a recording about
 internationalization (i18n), it is 24 min lenght and might interest people
who want to get involved in the translation process. So thanks Jakob !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz8zutA55fI

During the second viewing, i downloaded the osgeolie docs from github to
get a fresh start.

In the Docs, i added or changed some lines:
   import sys, os

   # needed to avoid an ascii error during the build of the translations
   reload(sys)
   sys.setdefaultencoding('utf-8')

 # General information about the project.
project = u'OSGeo-Live'
copyright = u'OSGeo-Live Contributors'

# The short X.Y version.
version = '10.5'
# The full version, including alpha/beta/rc tags.
release =  '10.5 alpha'

# The language for content autogenerated by Sphinx. Refer to documentation
# for a list of supported languages.
language = 'en'

# where do the translation go (should be changed ? or the html index
changed ?)
locale_dirs = ['locale/']

# gettext compact mode (one folder by language)
gettext_compact = True

Then I used the following commands:

tx init # folder initialisation (transifex client is needed)

sphinx-intl update-txconfig-resources --pot-dir _build/locale
--transifex-project-name osgeolive
# configure the project ?

tx pull -l fr # french translation pulling

sphinx-intl build # translation building

make SPHINXOPTS="-Dlanguage=fr" html # html pages building

The last command lauched the building of ALL the languages which have a
folder in the main folder.

The _build folder now contains all the html files from the docs and is more
than 1 GB.

Even the images folder get fatter, passing from 854 files (103 MB) to  1602
(197 MB) when becoming _images and some images gets a copy (but not all).

I tried to deleted language folders, but the only ones that where built are
the 'en' and 'id' that i left. I expected at least that the french one will
be downloaded since i requested it.

So there is some progress but not enough yet. Any help or suggestion is
welcomed.

Sorry for the long mail,

Best wishes,

Nicolas