[Live-demo] [Workshops] FOSS4G 2017 Call for Workshop Proposals - OSGeo-Live

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 14:45:36 PST 2017

Hello FOSS4G Boston team,

In today's OSGeo-Live weekly meeting we discussed preparing an
OSGeo-Live workshop to be initially used for FOSS4G 2017, but which
would then be a useful resource for future OSGeo related training.

We'd like to open a discussion with FOSS4G organizers about the
creation, content, and presentation of this workshop.

Our OSGeo-Live community live all around the world, and many of us who
are interested in helping with content creation might/will not be able
to make the conference in order to present. So we would like to like to
put feelers out to determine if we can find some local people to help
out with the presentation.

It has been noticed that the BostonGIS community have done an excellent
job already in creating OSGeo tutorial material, available at:
http://www.bostongis.com/ Who was involved in creating this material?
Would there be members of the BostonGIS or Boston FOSS4G community
interested in helping be part of an OSGeo-Live workshop team?

In creating and presenting material, I'm hopeful that we can draw upon
an OSGeo community leader (or 2) from each project included. This should
increase the value of the presentation and spread the effort of
creation. (On the downside, it would increase the number of presenters
in the room).

With regards to the structure of the OSGeo-Live workshop:

Target Audience:

* We suggest that the target audience should be new users to OSGeo.
There would be no prior assumed knowledge or technical expertise so
could be attended by a non-GIS techie, or a manager, or a sales person.
The aim would be to introduce attendees to the breadth of Open Source
GIS available, and get some hands on feeling for what these applications
look like.

Content:

* 4 hours won't be sufficient time to cover all 50 OSGeo-Live projects
in depth, so we will need to be selective. I'd expect we would base the
workshop on something similar to:

0:00 - 0:10 Introduction

0:10 - 0:20 Set up OSGeo-Live on everyone's laptop. (Instructors walking
around the room helping, possibly spilling into next presentation)

0:20 - 1:00 Overview of all 50 applications in OSGeo-Live, based on
OSGeo-Live presentation: http://live.osgeo.org/en/presentation/index.html

1:00 - 3:30 Look at a subset of main applications in depth. About 20 to
30 mins for 6 to 8 applications. Base on existing Quickstarts. Covering:

* Database setup (PostGIS?)

* Web Service setup (GeoServer? GeoNode?)

* Desktop use case (QGIS?)

* Browser application(s) (OpenLayers? Cesium?)

* Possibly also cover free data sources such as Open Street Map

3:30 - 4:00 Buffer time for questions, delays, coffee break.

---

So questions for the Boston team:

a. Is this concept in line with Boston's vision for workshops?

b. Is there anyone interested in getting involved in the above?

Warm regards,
Cameron

M +61 419 142 254