[Live-demo] [OSGeo-Discuss] Call for Google Code-in mentors - OSGeo-Live

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 15:04:56 PDT 2017

Vicky suggested the Google Code-In at our last OSGeo-Live weekly IRC
meeting.

OSGeo-Live could be a good starting point to initiate tasks for
activities. In particular, I think we could invite students to create a
video for each of the OSGeo-Live quickstarts (1 task = 1 application's
quickstart video).

The task could be:

* Download OSGeo-Live.

* Review and run one of the OSGeo-Live quickstarts.

* Discuss progress with community

* Identify any errors you might locate in the quickstart text. Raise an
issue if required. (Bonus points: fix the issue and create a pull request)

* Record running of the quickstart with voice over, using the existing
script as guidance.

* Update our index documentation page to include a link to the video and
add the student's name to the project contributor's page. Create a git
pull request.

--

What the student will learn:

* How to engage an open source community and mentor via an email list.

* How to download and run an image in a virtual machine

* How to work with a linux gui. (Lubuntu)

* How one OSGeo application works

* How to do QA and raise an issue in an issue tracker

* How to make a simple change to HTML and create a git pull request

* The student will additionally have their video linked from our main
web page (assuming it is good), and will have their name added to the
OSGeo-Live's list of contributors.

--

Mentoring requirements would be relatively light for each student,
however we have ~ 50 projects, so handling that many students would be

We would need a mentoring champion to lead this. Anyone interested?

--

A variant on this task we floated was to create Jupiter Notebooks for
each project on OSGeo-Live, but that would require a lot more setup from

Warm regards, Cameron