[OSGeoLive] [OSGeo-Discuss] Suggestions for a background image for next OSGeoLive - with an African theme

Astrid Emde (OSGeo) astrid_emde at osgeo.org
Wed Aug 1 00:05:06 PDT 2018

Hello,

(sorry, that I did not get involved at last irc meeting due to bad
internet connection)

I still prefer the OSM Map and would vote +1 for the OSM Map

Sure many of us know OSM and use it in their daily live. But this years
FOSS4G will also attract more newcomers.

OSM Map would be something that happens today and not a historic map or
art

Maybe we can't produce a wow, but we could mention all the mappinmg
initiative and usecases where OSM get involved in Africa f.e.
http://ramanihuria.org

As this year FOSS4G is connected with HOTOSM it is one reason more for a
OSM map
It could encourage people to get involved

I also like the idea of the transparent image of an elephant with the
map on it.

See also discussion at irc meeting 2018-07-30
http://irclogs.geoapt.com/osgeolive/%23osgeolive.2018-07-30.log

Astrid

Am 31.07.2018 20:56 schrieb Cameron Shorter:
> [...]
>> (OSGeoLive background) as previous FOSS4G hosts.
>>
>> The Africa list rejects email from nonsubscribers such as myself.
>> :-(
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Ben.
>>
>> On 29/07/18 04:15, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Ben you are with your comment.
>>
>> What do you think instead about an actual OSM Map from Dar Es
>> Salaam - that shows how great the region is mapped
>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/-6.8049/39.2472 [3]
>>
>> or maybe a nice photo instead of a map.
>>
>> Astrid
>>
>> Am 28.07.2018 00:17 schrieb Ben Caradoc-Davies:
>> I love historical maps. However, maps have been both the tool and
>> emblem of colonisation, by which Africa has been particularly badly
>> affected. The choice of an historical map of Africa for the
>> OSGeoLive
>> background must be informed by the actions of those who used it and
>> their impact on the people of Africa, as well consider of the
>> current-day appropriateness of the labels used on the map. I would
>> follow the advice of the Africa Local Chapter and the Dar es Salaam
>> LOC.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Ben.
>>
>> On 28/07/18 09:23, Mark Iliffe wrote:
>> I would vote for the map that you'd listed, but linking in the
>> Africa Local
>> Chapter :-)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> On 27 July 2018 at 08:32, Cameron Shorter
>> <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The time has come to select a background image for our next
>> OSGeoLive
>> release, which is scheduled to be ready in time for FOSS4G Dar es
>> Salaam,
>> and we are looking for inspiration for a background image.
>>
>> Traditionally, we have drawn inspiration from the image from the
>> conference location, and are hoping that someone with a mapping or
>> artistic
>> eye can suggest an interesting map, or image that we can use. The
>> image
>> needs to be available under an open license, and will likely need
>> to be
>> shaded so that icons will still stand out against it.
>>
>> I'm wondering whether a historic navigating chart of Africa would
>> be good?
>> Maybe something like this:
>>

> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:AMH-7121-KB_Map_of_Africa.jpg
>> [4]
>>
>> Or maybe a drawing of some of the big African animals.
>>
>> Are there any people in the mapping or African communities who
>> would be
>> willing to help us out here?
>>
>> Warm regards,
>>
>> --
>> Cameron Shorter
>> Technology Demystifier
>> Open Technologies and Geospatial Consultant

IGEAT (CP 130 / 03)