[OSGeoLive] problem with bootable usb stick creation via dd

Astrid Emde (OSGeo) astrid_emde at osgeo.org
Thu Aug 16 05:20:24 PDT 2018

Hello all,

I am preparing the USB-Stick production and Philipp (my collegue) and I
tried it with the beta3 iso.
We wanted to work on a solution with dd to be able to make mass
production with 10 port usb3 hubs (Alex and I will bring them to Dar).

But at the moemnt we failed. Sticks are not bootable.

This was our workflow:

# 1. create img from a stick that was created with the usbcreator
(usb-creator-gtk)
sudo dd if=/dev/sdd
of=~/Dokumente/Schulungssticks/usbiso/osgeo12beta3.img bs=8M && sync

# then 2.
sudo  dd if=~/Dokumente/Schulungssticks/usbiso/osgeo12beta3.img
of=/dev/sdd bs=8M status=progress; sync

But the problem is, that only one pratition will be created (only the
data partition and not the efi partition) - all 16 GB. And then the
stick does not boot.

* does not boot with uefi mode
* does not boot with legacy mode

I send 2 screenshots
* result_from_usbcreator_partition_good_bootable
https://imagebin.ca/v/4COCH6SEE7gH
* result_from_dd_only_one_partition_not_bootable
https://imagebin.ca/v/4COCg53WPHj7

If we do not find a solution with dd we can always use the
usb-creator-gtk to create the sticks.

Any idea for a solution?

Astrid

Astrid Emde