[OSGeoLive] problem with bootable usb stick creation via dd

James Klassen jklassen at sharedgeo.org
Thu Aug 16 15:37:56 PDT 2018

I have made hundreds of OSGeo Live USBs for various local conferences.  In
my experience with past versions, copying with dd should work as long as
the sticks are all the same size.  I haven't tried it with 12 yet.

As a fall back I think you can just dd the iso to the USB stick (with the
loss of the optional persistence file - which was not acceptable for us
because we were using it for a workshop and wanted them to be able to save
their work).  Still, it might be worth a test.

IIRC getting the persistence file working on the USB master image was
harder with 11 than in previous versions.  Whatever option I had been using
was removed from the official usb-creator GUI tool.  I probably have notes
somewhere on what I did.

Once you have a good image, I wrote a Linux utility [1] to ease the pain
when I had to make hundreds of OSGeo Live USBs.  You give it an image file
and it will automatically start copying the image to any USB that is
inserted that matches the size of the image file.  There is cli and X11
front end.

[1] https://github.com/klassenjs/copy_usb