[OSGeoLive] problem with bootable usb stick creation via dd

Ben Caradoc-Davies ben at transient.nz
Thu Aug 16 16:09:02 PDT 2018

Astrid,

I note that the good and bad sticks are on /dev/sdf and /dev/sdd in your
screenshots, the opposite to when you were copying. I do not think this
matters.

Your use of dd looks good to me. The part I do not like is writing to a
stick and then reading back. One read error could ruin your
osgeo12beta3.img. Did you see any errors at the command line? In the
kernel logs (with journalctl)?

Have you tried writing the raw ISO with dd?:

sudo dd if=osgeolive-12.0beta3-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=8M; sync

Your dd will copy the entire stick, including the empty space. If you
are going copy from a stick, consider using the dd count option to
reduce the image size. Overestimating, 4.5 GB is 576 blocks of 8M, so
you can use count=576 to copy only 4.5 GB into your image. You can also
use gzip:

sudo dd if=/dev/sdX bs=8M count=576 | gzip > osgeo12beta3.img.gz

gzunzip < osgeo12beta3.img.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/sdY bs=8M count=576; sync

Kind regards,
Ben.

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben at transient.nz>