[OSGeoLive] Disk space and gvSig upgrade

James Klassen jklassen at sharedgeo.org
Mon Jul 2 07:01:38 PDT 2018

I can't make the meeting, but I have been wondering for awhile if the
target should be moved to a 8GB USB stick (or DL DVD).

I am not sure if this holds World wide, but locally 4GB and 8GB USB sticks
are essentially the same price and 8GB sticks are much easier to find.
Again locally, from 4GB to 32GB the bigger price difference is USB2 vs USB3
rather than based on the capacity.

There is certainly benefit in the discipline gained by being forced to be
efficient with software size.  And I know as someone who has been involved
in making Live USBs for several conferences that even slight increases in
cost with limited budgets means less copies can be given out.  But given at
least my local observations, I no longer see the gain in limiting ourselves
to 4GB and I worry if we are forced to exclude projects that provide good
examples of the rich selection of the FLOSS geospatial ecosystem based on
what may well be an outdated limit.