[OSGeoLive] machine translations

Kari Salovaara kari.salovaara at pp1.inet.fi
Thu Jul 26 13:46:28 PDT 2018

Dear Vicky,

I just noticed your messages today when I was trying to estimate how
much work and plan the time schedule for the translation into Finnish.

I'd like to point out that machine translation is absolutely forbidden
in Finnish language (there is some other languages likewise). There is
no engine/application which is capable to do the work not even in
minimum acceptable manner.

Example ; there is already one OSGeo project translated into Finnish by
using google translate. It's done by a foreign person who wanted to
"help". Unfortunately I've to do the whole translation again to make it
somehow understandable, when I've time to do it.

And I've a humble request to authors of applications and documentation
in any OSGeo project that none would invent new words as they are  very
very difficult to translate. ;)

All the best, Kari