[OSGeoLive] [OSGeo-Discuss] Suggestions for a background image for next OSGeoLive - with an African theme

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 14:06:18 PDT 2018

Another idea which I suspect would work would be to have a translucent
map image, with transparent African image imposed over it - like an
elephant over an OSM basemap. Is there someone with a little graphical
flair who would want to put such an image together?

On 30/07/2018 5:59 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:

> [...]
>>>         myself.  :-(
>>>
>>>         Kind regards,
>>>         Ben.
>>>

>>>         On 29/07/18 04:15, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) wrote:
>>>
>>>             Hello all,
>>>
>>>             Ben you are with your comment.
>>>
>>>             What do you think instead about an actual OSM Map from
>>>             Dar Es Salaam - that shows how great the region is mapped
>>>             https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/-6.8049/39.2472
>>>             <https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/-6.8049/39.2472>
>>>
>>>             or maybe a nice photo instead of a map.
>>>
>>>             Astrid
>>>
>>>             Am 28.07.2018 00:17 schrieb Ben Caradoc-Davies:
>>>
>>>                 I love historical maps. However, maps have been both
>>>                 the tool and
>>>                 emblem of colonisation, by which Africa has been
>>>                 particularly badly
>>>                 affected. The choice of an historical map of Africa
>>>                 for the OSGeoLive
>>>                 background must be informed by the actions of those
>>>                 who used it and
>>>                 their impact on the people of Africa, as well
>>>                 consider of the
>>>                 current-day appropriateness of the labels used on
>>>                 the map. I would
>>>                 follow the advice of the Africa Local Chapter and
>>>                 the Dar es Salaam
>>>                 LOC.
>>>
>>>                 Kind regards,
>>>                 Ben.
>>>
>>>                 On 28/07/18 09:23, Mark Iliffe wrote:
>>>
>>>                     I would vote for the map that you'd listed, but
>>>                     linking in the Africa Local
>>>                     Chapter :-)
>>>
>>>                     Cheers,
>>>
>>>                     Mark
>>>
>>>                     On 27 July 2018 at 08:32, Cameron Shorter
>>>                     <cameron.shorter at gmail.com
>>>                     <mailto:cameron.shorter at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>                         The time has come to select a background
>>>                         image for our next OSGeoLive
>>>                         release, which is scheduled to be ready in
>>>                         time for FOSS4G Dar es Salaam,
>>>                         and we are looking for inspiration for a
>>>                         background image.
>>>
>>>                         Traditionally, we have drawn inspiration
>>>                         from the image from the
>>>                         conference location, and are hoping that
>>>                         someone with a mapping or artistic
>>>                         eye can suggest an interesting map, or image
>>>                         that we can use. The image
>>>                         needs to be available under an open license,
>>>                         and will likely need to be
>>>                         shaded so that icons will still stand out
>>>                         against it.
>>>
>>>                         I'm wondering whether a historic navigating
>>>                         chart of Africa would be good?
>>>                         Maybe something like this:
>>>
>>>                         https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:AMH-7121-KB_Map_of_Africa.jpg
>>>                         <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:AMH-7121-KB_Map_of_Africa.jpg>
>>>
>>>                         Or maybe a drawing of some of the big
>>>                         African animals.
>>>
>>>                         Are there any people in the mapping or
>>>                         African communities who would be
>>>                         willing to help us out here?
>>>
>>>                         Warm regards,
>>>
>>>                         --
>>>                         Cameron Shorter
>>>                         Technology Demystifier
>>>                         Open Technologies and Geospatial Consultant

IGEAT (CP 130 / 03)

>>>     Campus du Solbosch
>>>     Av. F. D. Roosevelt, 50
>>>     B-1050 Bruxelles
>>>     Tél.: 02/650.68.14 Fax: 02/650.50.92 Local: DB6.143

> Cameron Shorter
> Technology Demystifier
>
> M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Technology Demystifier