[OSGeoLive] problems with pgAdmin3 and PostgreSQL 10

Astrid Emde (OSGeo) astrid_emde at osgeo.org
Mon Jun 18 01:21:56 PDT 2018

Hello,

Bionic offers PostgreSQL 10 and pgAdmin3.

I noticed that pgAdmn3 has problems with PostgreSQL sequence
visualisation.

When you click on a sequence you get an error and in the end pgAdmin
crashes.

ERROR:  column "min_value" does not exist
LINE 1: SELECT last_value, min_value, max_value, cache_value, is_cyc...

             ^
Reason is that the sequence information changed and that some columns do
not exist anymore.
user at user:/var/www/html/$ psql -U user natural_earth2
psql (10.4 (Ubuntu 10.4-0ubuntu0.18.04))
Type "help" for help.

natural_earth2=# Select * from ne_10m_lakes_gid_seq;
  last_value | log_cnt | is_called
------------+---------+-----------
        1343 |      10 | t

with PostgreSQl 9.x the table had a different columns
Select * from ne_10m_lakes_gid_seq;
     sequence_name     | last_value | start_value | increment_by |
max_value      | min_value | cache_value | log_cnt | is_cycled |
is_called
----------------------+------------+-------------+--------------+---------------------+-----------+-------------+---------+-----------+-----------
  ne_10m_lakes_gid_seq |       1343 |           1 |            1 |
9223372036854775807 |         1 |           1 |       0 | f         | t
(1 row)

Now my question is whether we should also offer pgAdmin4 with OSGeoLive?

What do you think about the idea? Do you know why still pgAdmin3 is
provided with bionic and not pgAdmin4? Maybe pgAdmin4 brings other
problems and usability is not so good? But maybe it is good to offer
both and have the choice.

Astrid

Astrid Emde
OSGeo Board Member and OSGeo Secretary