[OSGeoLive] JupyterLab replaces Juypter Notebook; tried Raspbian Pixel x86 desktop?

Jim Callahan jim.callahan.orlando at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 19:07:39 PDT 2018

I am new to this list.
This is my first post.

1. My understanding is that JupyterLab will replace Jupyter Notebook in
2018.

"We plan to release JupyterLab 1.0 later in 2018.  ... JupyterLab 1.0 will
eventually replace the classic Jupyter Notebook. Throughout this
transition, the same notebook document format will be supported by both the
classic Notebook and JupyterLab."
https://blog.jupyter.org/jupyterlab-is-ready-for-users-5a6f039b8906

JupyterLab 1.0 (beta 2) is due Tuesday, March 27, 2018 and the full
JupyterLab 1.0 timeline is here:
https://github.com/jupyterlab/jupyterlab/milestones

In addition, there are several JupyterLab videos on YouTube.

JupyterLab: The Next-Generation Jupyter Frontend - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7jq4XgwLJQ

JupyterLab Code Console - YouTube (no sound)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq1l7DBngQQ

2. Have the OSGEO 12 Live team considered the Raspbian Pixel desktop (uses
same LXDE on Debian)?

The Raspberry Pi project created a Debian derived Linux distribution called
Raspbian for their Broadcom (RISC, non-Intel) based $35 credit card sized
educational computer board with a desktop "Pixel" based on LXDE. Over 12.5
million Raspberry Pi computers have been sold.
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/3/17/14962170/raspberry-pi-sales-12-5-million-five-years-beats-commodore-64

https://betanews.com/2017/07/19/raspberry-pi-eben-upton-qa/

They have now come up with an X86 (32-bit) version Pixel. Pixel would seem
to be a good starting point for the new OSGEO 12, but for the best of my
knowledge they only have a 32-bit version and not a 64-bit version (and
lack of a 64-bit version would be a deal killer).

ISO download

"Debian with Raspberry Pi Desktop is the Foundation’s operating system for
PC and Mac. You can create a live disc, run it in a virtual machine, or
even install it on your computer.

Raspberry Pi Desktop comes pre-installed with plenty of software for
education, programming and general use; including Python, Scratch, Sonic
Pi, Java, and more."
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspberry-pi-desktop/

Scratch and Sonic Pi and LibreOffice could be deleted (or better yet, their
install scripts could be commented out).
What would be left would Python and Java environment with IDLE, Thony,
Leafpad and Nano; perfect for OSGEO Live.

Thonny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwIgxrXP-X4

GitHub
https://github.com/raspberrypi-ui/

Announcement of Raspberry Pi Desktop (Raspbian) for X86 based on Debian
"Stretch":

"Today, we are launching the first Debian Stretch release of the Raspberry
Pi Desktop for PCs and Macs, and we’re also releasing the latest version of
Raspbian Stretch for your Pi."

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/stretch-pcs-macs-raspbian-update/

I have used OSGEO Live, Ubuntu and Raspbian and while I love the GIS
applications, the Raspbian interface though very similar is easier to use
in a variety of subtle ways.

I have downloaded and installed OSGEO Live 11 Linux on my Lenovo T560
Thinkpad.

Prior to installing OSGEO Live, I installed Ubuntu Linux 16.04 on the same
Thinkpad and before that I experimented with Raspbian Linux on a Raspberry
Pi 3 .  I plan to download and install Raspbian for the X86 next week.

In addition to the minor benefit of being easier for me to use (outweighed
by the massive inconvenience to the entire OSGEO Live team) would be the
ability of millions of students to graduate from Raspbian to OSGEO Live 12
and for their to eventually be an OSGEO Live for the Raspberry Pi (when the
foundation moves from the current Raspberry Pi 3 to a future Pi 4 or Pi
5).  Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 can run PostgreSQL, but I doubt if a Raspberry Pi
3 could run PostgreSQL and QGIS in one gigabyte of RAM at the same time!

Anyway, that's a newbees two cents.

Jim Callahan
Callahan Data Science LLC
Orlando, FL

Jim dot Callahan dot Orlando at Google Mail