[OSGeoLive] Python Stack on OSGeoLive 12

Brian M Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Thu May 3 09:13:55 PDT 2018

To:  All Python stakeholders on OSGeoLive

  The SciTools project under a GPL license, publishes and maintains a short list of high-impact python projects.
One of those, cartopy, is the basis of multiple other package's graphical display. The Science Short-Course
educational component, has been published on the OSGeoLive since edition 8 or so .. as Notebooks.

  Less than a week ago, the SciTools repo was updated with 'minimum requirements' and some compatability checks.
I suspect that the SciTools team led by Phil Elson, had many of the same discussions others have had,
about python 2.7 and python 3.5 or 3.6, the maintenance costs and benefits, and their users in the large.

  The interests and point of view of the SciTools effort, seems to be very well aligned with the interests
and point of view on the OSGeoLive project [0].  I suggest that we take the minimum requirements guidelines,
recently affirmed, as the same guidelines on the next OSGeoLive edition.. as a solid step to high stability
in the python runtimes on OSGeoLive.

  The proof will be in the coming weeks, as the versions and runtimes of various components become clearer.

[0] http://scitools.org.uk/collaboration.html

  best regards from Berkeley, California
   --Brian