[OSGeoLive] Introductions: OSGeoLive at FOSS4G Community Day

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 13:38:36 PST 2018

Hi OSGeoLive folks,

So far, 12 people have signed up to work on the OSGeoLive project at our
the FOSS4G Oceania Community day. I've just emailed them all with the
following email.

Will any of you be available to hang out on IRC for a bit during the
community day to help provide some mentoring and direction? I'll be
doing my best to help out on the ground, but am aware of my limitations
both technically and not being able to help everyone at once.

Also, if you have further suggestions for things to focus on feel free
to suggest them. I'll be sending another email to everyone with more
details in ~ 1 week.

We start at 9am in Melbourne:

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2018&month=11&day=22&hour=22&min=0&sec=0&p1=224&p2=155&p3=195&p4=37&p5=26&p6=240&p7=952&iv=1800

Location 	Local Time 	Time Zone 	UTC Offset
San Francisco
<https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/usa/san-francisco>(USA -
California) 	Thursday, 22 November 2018 at 2:00:00 pm 	PST
<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/pst> 	UTC-8 hours
Mexico City
<https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/mexico/mexico-city>(Mexico -
Ciudad de México) 	Thursday, 22 November 2018 at 4:00:00 pm 	CST
<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/cst> 	UTC-6 hours
Paris <https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/france/paris>(France -
Île-de-France) 	Thursday, 22 November 2018 at 11:00:00 pm 	CET
<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/cet> 	UTC+1 hour
Berlin <https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/germany/berlin>(Germany -
Berlin) 	Thursday, 22 November 2018 at 11:00:00 pm 	CET
<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/cet> 	UTC+1 hour
Athens <https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/greece/athens>(Greece)
Friday, 23 November 2018 at 12:00:00 midnight 	EET
<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/eet> 	UTC+2 hours
Sydney
<https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/australia/sydney>(Australia -
New South Wales) 	Friday, 23 November 2018 at 9:00:00 am 	AEDT
<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/aedt> 	UTC+11 hours
Dunedin <https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/new-zealand/dunedin>(New
Zealand - Otago) 	Friday, 23 November 2018 at 11:00:00 am 	NZDT
<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/nzdt> 	UTC+13 hours

We finish at: 5pm in Melbourne:
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2018&month=11&day=23&hour=6&min=0&sec=0&p1=224&p2=155&p3=195&p4=37&p5=26&p6=240&p7=952&iv=1800
Location 	Local Time 	Time Zone 	UTC Offset
San Francisco
<https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/usa/san-francisco>(USA -
California) 	Thursday, 22 November 2018 at 10:00:00 pm 	PST
<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/pst> 	UTC-8 hours
Mexico City
<https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/mexico/mexico-city>(Mexico -
Ciudad de México) 	Friday, 23 November 2018 at 12:00:00 midnight 	CST
<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/cst> 	UTC-6 hours
Paris <https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/france/paris>(France -
Île-de-France) 	Friday, 23 November 2018 at 7:00:00 am 	CET
<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/cet> 	UTC+1 hour
Berlin <https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/germany/berlin>(Germany -
Berlin) 	Friday, 23 November 2018 at 7:00:00 am 	CET
<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/cet> 	UTC+1 hour
Athens <https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/greece/athens>(Greece)
Friday, 23 November 2018 at 8:00:00 am 	EET
<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/eet> 	UTC+2 hours
Sydney
<https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/australia/sydney>(Australia -
New South Wales) 	Friday, 23 November 2018 at 5:00:00 pm 	AEDT
<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/aedt> 	UTC+11 hours
Dunedin <https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/new-zealand/dunedin>(New
Zealand - Otago) 	Friday, 23 November 2018 at 7:00:00 pm 	NZDT

On 12/11/18 8:03 am, Cameron Shorter wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I understand that you are all interested in helping the OSGeoLive
> project at the FOSS4G Community day. It is great to see so many people
> interested. I think we should be able to get a lot done. In order to
> maximise our impact, I'm hoping understand a little about who you are,
> get a rough idea for your skillset and interests, and then put
> together a rough work plan before hand.
>
> These are the two things I was thinking we could tackle:
>
> /1. Run all the quickstarts, update screen shots, correct docs or
> write bug reports. New users see problems in documentation that
> developers are blind to. And we are aware that many of our Quickstarts
> have become dated when software was updated.//
> //
> //2. For techies: We would love to be able to install OSGeoLive in the
> cloud, and are looking for some techies to help work out how to do it.
> Having a cloud version of OSGeoLive will make it much more accessible
> as a learning platform./
>
> Could you please reply, introduce yourself to our team here, mention
> who you are and what is your interest and skillset?
>
> I'll start:
>
> My name is Cameron Shorter, I'm one of the founders of OSGeoLive, and
> was the original supporting editor of the Project Overviews and many
> of the Quickstarts. I'll be able to connect people with experts in our
> OSGeoLive team. Our doc process has been updated recently (by others
> in our OSGeoLive team) and I'm almost up to speed with the new build
> process.  I'm familiar with our documentation processes, RST format,
> and have an just enough understanding of git to get docs back into our
> git repository. I don't have experience with the cloud, but am hopeful
> that John Hilderbrandt (who is coming and is from Amazon) can help us
> out.
>
> Warm regards,

Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254