[OSGeoLive] OpenStreetMap Quickstart

Felicity Brand felicitybrand at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 15:11:38 PST 2019

Hello all,

During my work on the Quickstarts, a few things came up that I need to
raise more broadly.

The OSM Quickstart is not really a quickstart in the true sense.

I notice that OSM is listed twice on the OSGeoLive Contents page [1].
It's listed under the "Navigation and Maps" heading and then again
under the "Data" heading. Is that intentional?

"Navigation and Maps" instance links to the OSM overview page [2].
"Data" instance links to the OSM Dataset overview page [3].

Which is probably fine. My question is about the quickstart, which is
linked to under the "Navigation and Maps" heading. [4]

For the 13.1 docs-only release, we could consider removing this link,
effectively "unpublishing" the OSM quickstart. I did do some work on
the quickstart to make some minor changes [5], but it really needs to
be tutorial style rather than a list of applications.

So I just wanted to start this conversation to see what people think.

[1] https://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/overview.html
[2] https://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/osm_overview.html
[3] https://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/osm_dataset_overview.html
[4] https://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/osm_quickstart.html