[OSGeoLive] Proposing application: actinia

Markus Neteler neteler at mundialis.de
Tue Jul 9 15:08:17 PDT 2019

Hi all,

we hereby propose "actinia" for inclusion in OSGeo-live:

/*Describe of the application:*/

What is its name?
    *actinia
*
/What is the home page URL?/

  * https://actinia.mundialis.de/
  * https://github.com/mundialis/actinia_core/

/Which //OSI approved Open Source Licence
<http://opensource.org/licenses>//is used?/

  * GPL-3

/What does the application do and how does it add value to the
GeoSpatial stack of software?/

  * actinia is an open source REST API for scalable, distributed, high
    performance processing of geographical data that uses mainly GRASS
    GIS for computational tasks. Besides that, also further OSGeo
    related software and other open source analysis tools can be used.

/Does the application make use of OGC standards? Which versions of the
standards? Client or server? You may wish to add comments about how
standards are used./

  * actinia core offers the possibility to extend it with plugins. The
    actinia-gdi plugin (https://github.com/mundialis/actinia-gdi/) helps
    integrating actinia-core in an existing GDI, e.g. to communicate
    with GeoNetwork.

/What language is it written in?/

  * Python-3

/Which version of the application should be included in the next
OSGeo-Live release?/

  * The current "latest".

/Stability is very important to us on OSGeo-Live. If a new user finds a
bug in one application, it will tarnish the reputation of all other
OSGeo-Live applications as well. (We pay most attention to the following
answers): /

/If risk adverse organisations have deployed your application into
production, it would imply that these organisations have verified the
stability of your software. Has the application been rolled out to
production into risk (ideally risk adverse) organisations? Please
mention some of these organisations?/

  * At time a major German telekommunication company is using actinia in
    a cloud based massive data processing roll-out. At FOSS4G 2019 in
    Bucharest some related presentations will be given.
  * Besides that, actinia is the backend of the openEO GRASS GIS driver
    (https://openeo.org/, a H2020 EU project |
    https://github.com/Open-EO/openeo-grassgis-driver).

/What is the Open HUB URL for your project?/

  * https://www.openhub.net/p/actinia_core/

/What is the size of the user community? You can often answer this by
mentioning downloads, or describing a healthy, busy email list?/

  * The actinia community is very young and yet hard to measure. Some
    stats are available from
    https://github.com/mundialis/actinia_core/graphs/traffic

/What is the size of your developer community?/

  * Three core devs + some infrequent contributors.

/Do you have a bug free, stable release?/

  * There is no bugfree software :-)
    Yes, a stable release is available from
    https://github.com/mundialis/actinia_core/tags

/Please discuss the level of testing that your project has gone through./

  * A notable test set is included, see
    https://github.com/mundialis/actinia_core/tree/master/tests .
  * The deployment of actinia has been tested with Openstack as well as
    CI/CD pipelines in Openshift. Furthermore several deployments are
    running with docker-swarm. Dockerfiles for development and for
    production are available from
    https://github.com/mundialis/actinia_core/tree/master/docker
  * Importantly, we use CI/CD pipelines for testing during deployment.

/How long has the project has had mature code./

  * The core of actinia has been used in production since end of 2016
    (back then named GRaaS - GRASS GIS as a Service) as a backend in a
    Sentinel-2 metadata processor operated for ESA
    (https://sentinel.esa.int/web/sentinel/-/filter-sentinel-2a-scenes-with-the-new-release-of-eo-me).

/OSGeo-Live is targeted at applications that people can use rather than
libraries. Does the application have a user interface (possibly a
command line interface) that a user can interact with? (We do make an
exception for Incubated OSGeo Libraries, and will include Project
Overviews for these libraries, even if they don't have a user interface.)/

  * Since actinia offers a REST API, there is no interactive user
    interface per se. However, a few options are there (see also the
    actinia docs):
      o use curl (yes, cmd line is also a nice user interface,
        https://actinia.mundialis.de/tutorial/)
      o Postman extension for Chrome
      o actinia command execution (ace,
        https://github.com/mundialis/actinia_core/blob/master/scripts/)
      o more to come

/We give preference to OSGeo Incubated Projects, or Projects which are
presented at //FOSS4G <http://foss4g.org>//conferences. If your project
is involved in OSGeo Incubation, or has been selected to be presented at
FOSS4G, then please mention it./

  * actinia is an OSGeo community project since 2019:
    https://www.osgeo.org/projects/actinia/

/**//With around 50 applications installed on OSGeo-Live, us core
packagers do not have the time to liaise with every single project email
list for each OSGeo-Live release. So we require a volunteer (or two) to
take responsibility for liaising between OSGeo-Live and the project's
communities. This volunteer will be responsible for ensuring the install
scripts and English documentation are updated by someone for each
OSGeo-Live release. Also test that the installed application and
Quickstart documentation works as expected on release candidate releases
of OSGeo-Live. Who will act as the project's liaison person./

  * Markus Neteler

/Can you please discuss how your application will be installed:/

  * We have developed an installer script: The pull request of installer
    script is at
    https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive/pull/266

/OSGeo-Live is memory and disk constrained. Can the application run in
512 Meg of RAM?/

  * No problem.

/How much disk space will be required to install the application and a
suitable example application?/

  * The Python scripts are consuming 17MB. The backend GRASS GIS + GDAL
    + dependencies are already present on OSGeo-live.

/We aim to reduce disk space by having all applications make use of a
common dataset. We encourage applications to make use of the example
datasets already installed://
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Example_Datasets
<http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Example_Datasets>//If
another dataset would be more appropriate, please discuss here. Is it
appropriate, to remove existing demo datasets which may already be
included in the standard release./

  * The North Carolina dataset is fine.

/Each OSGeo-Live application requires a Project Overview available under
a //CC By <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/>//and a
Quickstart available under a //CC By-SA
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/>//license. (You may
release under a second license as well). Will you produce this?/

  * Sure: https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc/pull/455

/In past releases, we have included Windows and Mac installers for some
applications. It is likely we won't have space for these in future
releases. However, if there is room, would you be wishing to include
Windows and/or Mac installers?/

  * No thanks, not needed here.

best regards,

Markus