[OSGeoLive] Introduction to Felicity Brand

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 16:04:17 PDT 2019

Hi folks,

I'd like to introduce you to Felicity Brand, a technical writer who
lives in Melbourne, Australia. She is interested in participating in
SeasonOfDocs and learning about Open Source practices. She expects to
have some spare time to get involved as a volunteer, but not enough to
take on the leading role we are looking for in the paid writer. (She is
also juggling being a mother and contracting on the side.)

I've suggested she might want to look at reviewing all our OSGeoLive
Quickstarts (and maybe Project Overviews) from a tech writer's
perspective, with eye to bring a greater level of maturity and
consistency between these Quickstarts, and maybe improve the templates
we are using along the way. This could be a stepping stone into helping
mentor techies from each project to keep their Quickstarts up to date,
and helping techies write new Quickstarts.

Hi Felicity,

I suggest doing the following:

* Subscribe to these osgeolive and seasonofdocs email lists:

what would you like to do with Open Source docs?)

* Add your name to
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Season_of_Docs_Ideas_2019#People_keen_to_take_part
(you will need to apply for wiki access. Tell me once you have applied,
and I will process).

* Look at OSGeoLive Quickstarts:
https://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/overview.html

* Download and run OSGeoLive, probably in a Virtual Machine:
https://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/virtualization_quickstart.html

* Setup your documentation development environment: Follow links from
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Season_of_Docs_Ideas_2019#New_OSGeoLive_Quickstarts_and_Overviews:
(Ask questions, these howtos could be improved)

* Keep in touch and as questions as you go

* Good luck and welcome.

Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254