[OSGeoLive] [osgeolive/OSGeoLive-doc] Added quickstart template file (#4)

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 14:30:48 PDT 2019

Vicky's suggestion of improving the osgeolive wiki writing guidelines
are good. The existing guidelines have a strong focus on the mechanics
of the publishing process (how to use variable names etc).

The value Felicity can bring is to bring the perspective of a user (non
developer) to getting started, and also to help with writing structure
and style. (The words rather than the process).

What is emerging from the tech writers from TheGoodDocsProcess is value
in having an exemplar template. While the existing Quickstarts are
valuable, they will not necessarily still be the best practice in 3
years time. It is easier for the core writers to maintain one best
practice template and get developers/users to write against that, rather
than having to update all 50 projects when best practices evolve.

So I'm in favour of keeping a Quickstart template.

I'm taking this conversation back to the email list (originally in gitea?)

On 2/11/19 6:21 am, Felicity Brand wrote:
> Thanks for this cvvergara.
>
> I'm happy to do as you suggest and it all makes sense to me. I'd need
> to remove the template from the repo because you're looking at the one
> in gitea and it actually did get added over in GitHub.
> In a new PR which is still awaiting merge
> (https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc/pull/516) I tried to remove as
> much of the uDig content as I could, but it does still contain some
> and I felt uncomfortable about it.
>
> CC'ing Cameron because he's mentoring me through the Season of Docs
> period. Cameron, do you have any thoughts to add here?
>
> Thanks
> Felicity
>
> On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 2:28 AM cvvergara <noreply at osgeo.org> wrote:
>> The build will pass because the file is not included on the build. Its a copy of udig:
>>
>> it has udig’s author names
>> it has is for osgeolive version for 5.0 The only difference is that it has writing tips
>>
>>  From my perspective it does not add more value to the repository: At this point in time with so many quickstarts, any quickstart can work as a template Its just a matter of adjusting to what a new project needs.
>>
>> We do have guidelines on how to document a project here: https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive/wiki/How%20to%20document%20a%20project https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive/wiki/How to document the quickstart file https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive/wiki/How%20to%20document%20the%20overview%20file
>>
>> My personal feeling is that it would be better to double check the guidelines and complete them:
>>
>> Making sure that the writing tips are there
>> Add writing tips that are missing
>> Changing those files does not need a PR, you just need to be an OSGeo member (which you are otherwise you could not have done this PR) and we trust that OSGeo members will do their best in their volunteering, so you don’t need approval when you modify the files.
>>
>> ---
>> View it on Gitea.

Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254