[OSGeoLive] Season of Docs - OSGeo Live Quick Starts status

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 01:52:59 PDT 2019

Hi Felicity,
I think this "birds eye view" of all the projects is really useful, and
will help us focus on what next.

All,
In our weekly irc://freenode.net#osgeolive meeting (in ~ 11 hours, I
suggest we discuss Felicities summary, and help set our doc priorities.

In answer to a could of Felicity's questions:

* Rather than asking "should we review the template", I think we should
ask "how much time should we spend on the template". I think a little
review is in order. (Note, in parallel, TheGoodDocsProject is looking at
the Quickstart template.)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/16u4lKHLFCIBmjgJD2oGhM1amUj2IREFVCJ10Y1K6RIQ/edit

* Re quality: To date, OSGeoLive has set a quality standard, and then
expected projects to meet that standard. Projects that haven't been able
to meet the standard have been retired. Considering retiring a project
is something that we should add to our formula. (Other option is to
"hide" the project until they get their docs up to quality.) I think we
should set a target quality standard for a projects' Quickstart (maybe a
3 on Felicity's scale), and let all projects know that they will be
expected to meet this standard by next release. And that you have 2
months when Felicity can help you get your Quickstart up to scratch -
but you will need to provide base material and work with us/her.

* We haven't had language barriers to date. Everyone speaks English,
sometimes with a strong accent, and creative grammar.

* Q: What do we gain? A: Quality, and even better, the perception of
quality. Showing that you have spent the time to improve your docs means
that you spend time on details, and they hopefully should be the case
with the rest of the project. Yes, consistency is another measure of
quality.

* You mention "None of the Quick Starts talk about what the software
could be used for". Yes, this is what is covered in a Project Overview.
I suggest have a look at a couple to get a feel for what they cover.
(The PostGIS Project Overview is our exemplar.) Our aim is not to
duplicate the material in the Project Overview.

* I like the idea of "did you find this helpful". I'm not sure if we
have the capacity to implement it, or process the results, but it is
worth considering.

* Yes, I think a style guide is a good idea. We don't have one. I wish I
had of thought of that at the beginning.